MRZ contains data that can be found on the whole document like full name, date of birth, document number, document expiration date etc. encoded in a specific format.
- Reads and extracts data encrypted in the MRZ
- Checks if data from the MRZ strip is consistent with the information on the document and with the information provided by the user
- Reads, analyses, and validates checksums on the document
- Confirms that document has not expired.
There are many ways fraudsters can try to cheat.
They can try to cover the original photo of a genuine document with another. However, this will leave visible edges around the photo that is usually printed onto the document. Altering the photo will also result in changes to the security features that are interlocked with the original image.
Documents are also protected by specific typography, security marks, and holograms.
Fraudsters may attempt to make some data alterations (using computer imaging software or making physical changes) in information printed onto the document and the data encrypted in MRZ. As a result leaving signs of manipulation and slightly different fonts. That is why we ensure that:
- Fonts on the document are correct
- Security features and designs that are expected from this type of document are there.
- There are no manipulation signs that could suggest the possibility of the fraudulent document.
- The document is consistent with their respective government made template. Our database covers ID cards, passports and driving licences from over 200 countries.
Unlike our competitors, our identity verifications are video based . As a result we can have a holistic 3D view of the whole document. We can ask the user to tilt his document in different ways to fully show the holograms which are especially hard to forge in a convincing way.
It is something that is possible only on video. Simple photos are often not able to show them.
Thanks to utilising video for
our identity verifications we can easily eliminate common spoofing methods. One of them is taking pictures of fake printouts of documents. By having a 3D overview of the document we can easily check all edges of a document and verify it’s thickness.
Our software and our verification specialists are trained to recognise manipulations on the documents that can suggest document is potentially fraudulent.
Identity documents are made to be very difficult to copy or to be manipulated in any way. They have many security features like tilted laser images, holograms, optically variable ink, watermarks, text overlay, complicated designs in the background.
Our system can check their consistency, quality, and compare them to the templates of the genuine documents.